Dr. Eisner grew up in southern California surfing and playing tennis. In high school he was California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) finalist in tennis and cross country, led the local Red Cross and graduated in the top of his class. He attended the University of California, Berkeley and majored in Integrative Biology with a focus on medical ethnobotany, while playing for the university boxing team and volunteering in medical clinics for the indigent. After college, he worked for several years at a non-profit focused on advocating for children's literacy in underserved communities in Orange County, California. He attended New York University School of Medicine for his M.D. while volunteering at medical clinics for underserved communities and also performing research on orthopaedic and bariatric surgery. Dr. Eisner completed his 5 year general surgery residency at the University of California San Diego during which time he also performed research on blood transfusions and presented his research at national conferences.
Dr. Eisner has been elected to the Community Memorial Health System's Surgery Committee and the Saint John's Regional Medical Center's Cancer Tumor Boards. He was the first in Ventura County to perform a novel hemorrhoid surgery, Transanal Hemorrhoidal Dearterialization (THD), and teaches other surgeons the technique. He is faculty at Community Memorial Health System where he teaches in the general surgery residency program and is Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery at Western University of Health Science where he teaches medical students.
In his free time Dr. Eisner enjoys surfing, rock climbing, camping, gardening and cooking with his wife Ashley, who is a Registered Dietitian and Nutritionist.
St. John’s Regional Medical Center
1600 N. Rose Avenue
Oxnard, CA 93030
Community Memorial Hospital
147 N. Brent Street
Ventura, CA 93003
St. John’s Pleasant Valley Hospital
2309 Antonio Avenue
Camarillo, CA 93010
Camarillo Surgical Center
2460 N Ponderosa Dr Ste A117
Camarillo, CA 93010
Channel Islands Surgicenter
2300 Wankel Way
Oxnard, CA 93030
- Quality Improvement Project: Post operative hernia management (1/2020-)
- M. Bilal, A. Lim, B. Tuai, J. Eisner, Janet L. Hobbs, Rare Incidence of Cholecystocolonic Fistula and Robotic-Assisted Surgical Management, International Journal of Surgery Case Reports, 2021, 105770, ISSN 2210-2612
- Jreije K, Steen S, Jones G, Eisner J (January 28, 2020) One Hole, Two Tubes, and a Tijuana Pathology Report: A Case Report of Cholecystoduodenal Fistula Mistaken for Gallbladder Cancer. Cureus 12(1): e6802. doi:10.7759/cureus.6802
- Quality Improvement Project: Colon and rectal surgery ERAS (2018-)
- Eisner J, “Blood Transfusions: Past & Present Habits.” UCSD Surgery Department Grand Rounds. 4/26/17
- Eisner J, “To Prep, or Not To Prep.” UCSD Surgery Department Grand Rounds. 8/16/2015
- Eisner J, Scott R, Ramamoorthy S. “Transfusion Habits at a Single Large Academic Center: Potential for Improvement in General/Vascular Surgery” Accepted for 2014 ACS NSQIP National Conference. Abstract lecture and poster presentation July 2014.
- Ran Schwarzkopf, Joseph Eisner, Tara Russell, Roy Davidovitch. “Anterior Approach Total Hip Arthroplasty: Defining the learning curve.” NYU/HJD Orthopedics Department. Abstract presented at 2012 American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons Annual Meeting; San Francisco, CA.
- Eisner J, Parikh M, Hindman N, Balthazar E, Saunders JK. “Tests of correlation between immediate postoperative gastroduodenal transit times and weight loss after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy.” Surgical Endoscopy 2012 Dec 26 (12):3548-51.
- Joseph Eisner, Nicole Hindman, John K Saunders, Emil Balthazar, Manish Parikh. “Does Gastric Emptying After Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy or Calculated Sleeve Volume Correlate with Weight Loss?” NYU/Bellevue Department of Surgery. Abstract presented at 2011 XVI World Congress of the International Federation for Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders in Hamburg, Germany.
- Principle investigator of clinical psychiatric research study regarding inpatient behavior at various times of day (November 2010). Samoon Ahmad, Bellevue Psychiatric Department.
- Joseph Eisner, Roy Davidovitch. “Accuracy of Freehand Cup Positioning in Anterior Approach for Total Hip Arthoplasty.” NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases Research Conference Presentation, 08/2009.
- Children and Families Commission of Orange County: Public health research on mammography, tobacco use, and asthma combining data from over 20 community clinics. Developed questionnaires, input data, ran statistical models, and presented findings quarterly to medical directors and staff of member clinics.